By J Richard Nokes
Starting in 1786, Captain John Meares of serious Britain bravely explored the North pacific, yet his try and dominate the fur exchange among the Northwest Coast and Asia used to be annoyed whilst the Spanish army seized his ships off Vancouver Island. Meares neglected the chance to discover the Strait of Juan de Fuca or observe the Columbia River. therefore, he was once nearly a hero.
Read Online or Download Almost a Hero: The Voyages of John Meares, R.N., to China, Hawaii and the Northwest Coast PDF
Best chinese books
No matter if you don't like crossword puzzles, you'll turn out loving those. Designed for mother-tongue or thoroughly fluent audio system of chinese language conventional desirous to increase their English talents, the puzzles can also be wonderful to English audio system. they're formatted in order that each one puzzle might be solved in 15 to half-hour.
This booklet constitutes the refereed court cases of the 1st CCF convention, NLPCC 2012, held in Beijing, China, in the course of October/November, 2012. The forty three revised complete papers offered have been rigorously reviewed and chosen from 151 submissions. The papers are prepared in topical sections on functions on language computing; basics on language computing; computer translation and multi-lingual details entry; NLP for seek, advertisements and social networks; query answering and net mining.
This publication constitutes the refereed lawsuits of the chinese language convention on photograph and images applied sciences and purposes, IGTA 2013, held in Beijing, China, in April 2013. The forty papers and posters offered have been conscientiously reviewed and chosen from 89 submissions. The papers deal with concerns corresponding to the new release of recent rules, new techniques, new options, new purposes and new overview within the box of picture processing and pictures.
This is often the 5th and ultimate quantity in David Roy's celebrated translation of 1 of the main recognized and critical novels in chinese language literature. The Plum within the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei is an nameless sixteenth-century paintings that makes a speciality of the family lifetime of Hsi-men Ch'ing, a corrupt, upwardly cellular service provider in a provincial city, who continues a harem of six other halves and concubines.
- Readings of the Platform Sutra
- iSpeak Chinese Phrasebook (PDF Guide only)
- Linked Data and Knowledge Graph: 7th Chinese Semantic Web Symposium and 2nd Chinese Web Science Conference, CSWS 2013, Shanghai, China, August 12-16, 2013. Revised Selected Papers
- The Monster That Is History: History, Violence, and Fictional Writing in Twentieth-Century China
- Patterns and Meanings of Intensifiers in Chinese Learner Corpora
Additional info for Almost a Hero: The Voyages of John Meares, R.N., to China, Hawaii and the Northwest Coast
Natives, who also had suffered from the harsh winter, returned to the anchorage and began providing fish and fowl. Then on a bright day early in the month, Chief Shenoway, headman of the area, aged and nearly blind, came alongside to congratulate Meares on the return of good weather and also to tell him that two ships were at anchor at the mouth of Prince William Sound. Meares' narrative indicates the date was May 17. He was in error. 22 The ships turned out to be the King George under Nathaniel Portlock, and the Queen Charlotte captained by George Dixon fellow Britons who had arrived on the Northwest Coast from Hawaii for a second season of trading before taking their cargoes of furs to China.
4. Passing Certificate for Commission of John Meares. September 17, 1778, ADM 107/7, folio 59, Public Record Office, Kew, England. 5. Meares, Voyages, 222. 6. Nouvelle Biographie Generale . . xxxiv (Mar-Mer) (Paris: Firmin Didot Freres, 1861). 7. Passing Certificate for Commission of John Meares. 8. Letter, May 12, 1796, John Meares to Evan Nepean, secretary to the British Admiralty: "I beg you will be pleased to inform their Lordships, that since my return from Ireland, for the recovery of my health, after receiving an hurt there, when Employed on the Impress Service, I am now quite recovered, and am ready, and desirous to Serve, wherever their Lordships may think proper to Employ me"; ADM 1/2132, Public Record Office, Kew, England.
ISBN 0-87422-155-2 (alk. paper). : alk. paper) 1. -1809 Journeys. 2. Explorers Great Britain Biography. I. Title. Nokes, Who Sacrificed Much for Their Family. Page vii Contents Illustrations viii Acknowledgments ix Foreword xi Introduction 1 1. Despair and Death on the Northwest Coast 7 2. Rescue and Controversy 19 3. A Chief of Atooi and a Girl of Hawaii 33 4. Shed a Tear for Winee 41 5. Philippines to Nootka 49 6. No Such River Exists 61 7. The Cape Called Meares 73 8. Mutiny, Launching and Departure 87 9.